Pages

Break your routine

Hello,


Break from your routine and do something surprising

SurpriseMost things in my life operate around a routine. It enables me to get stuff done without thinking too hard.

Most of the activities I do in the week and at weekends are driven around my routine. It feels comfortable. I can be sure they will happen.

I realise that I can easily keep with my routine and forget to make time to enjoy small special moments. It’s a choice. A choice to do things that I enjoy but perhaps have not done for a while. A choice I sometimes forget to make.

I’m missing out on the variety of life when I live only according to a routine.

What are you missing out on by following the same routine every day?

When was the last time you surprised yourself and others?

My cat sat on my knee yesterday for 30 minutes. It was a surprise. He’s an outdoor cat and has never sat on my knee before. His normal routine is to go out at 7.30am and come home at 10pm. He surprised me and he surprised himself.

My immediate reaction was to push him off as I had things to do. Instead, I recognised it as a rare moment and sat quietly with him and my own thoughts. I enjoyed it and he had the biggest smile on his face. We both benefited because he broke from his routine and did something surprising.

And I realise that doing something surprising doesn’t have to be big. It can be a small thing. And yet, the impact is greater than I could ever imagine.

What happens when you do something surprising?

http://www.leadersbynature.com/break-from-your-routine-and-do-something-surprising/

Putting it into practice

  1. Do something surprising or different every day for a week. Surprise yourself and surprise someone else. Here are some ideas: Change what you have for breakfast, do exercise at a different time of day, listen to different music, listen to a different radio station, wear a colour you don’t normally wear, hug someone, laugh more, tell a joke, cry, play a game with family or friends, paint a picture, make a birthday card for a friend, do your chores on different days, ring an old friend for a chat, leave a note for a loved one, buy them flowers or chocolate or a small gift, go to the cinema, take up a new sport, read a book, sing a song every morning before work, sing in the car, do air guitar to your favourite music, dance.
  2. What is different?
  3. Share your ideas on how to change your routine by posting your comments below.
Bye
Jai jinendra.

No comments: